According to the American College of Mohs Surgery, Mohs Micrographic Surgery is one of the most successful treatments for skin cancer with a success rate of up to 99%, or greater. NYC Mohs Surgeon, Dr Ron Shelton explains further below;
Although Dr. Mohs invented this special surgery in the 1930s, mohs surgery for skin cancer has became popular only during recent years as a precise and effective treatment for a variety of skin cancers. It is most frequently used in the treatment of basal and squamous cell carcinomas, but it is also used for less common skin cancers as well.
The treatment requires intense training and Dr Shelton at NYC Mohs surgical center - Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York is among the very few who has the trained specialized skills in this area. Dr Shelton has successfully removed many skin cancers since 1993, using the Mohs technique. Photos of before and after Mohs surgery can be viewed at Mohs Gallery.
Advantages of Mohs Surgery
The surgical margins of the removed tissue are 100% microscopically examined and evaluated. Therefore it has proven to be very effective in curing skin cancers. Listed below are the many advantages of Mohs surgery:
- A very high success rate of removing skin cancers
- Ensures complete removal of skin cancer during the surgery
- Minimal loss of healthy tissues around the affected area since only a smaller amount of skin around the cancer will be removed through “microscopic mapping”.
- Satisfactory cosmetic outcome
- In most cases, the repair is done on the same day of cancer removal.
- Requires one surgery only (in most cases) which includes repairing the wound
- It can result in quick recovery most of the time. Depending on the extent of the surgery, it can take much longer to completely heal and Academic Mohs surgeon - Dr. Shelton informs his patients of this during the consultation depending on their unique circumstances such as: the location of the tumor, its size, depth, and diameter, proximity to vital structures and the type of repair that is done .
Most of all, the procedure is done by Dr Shelton himself.
In some alternative surgical cases where Mohs surgery is not done, patients might have to have a lesion reexcised on a later date if the outside laboratory finds that the tumor is not completely excised. The pathology lab is on the premises of the Mohs facility thereby allowing the surgeon to completely remove the tumor and stitch the wound without having to worry that the above would occur.
Dr Ron Shelton is board certified and specialized in the Mohs procedure. Patients are offered a comfortable setting for the procedure at his practice in New York City. The Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York is just a phone call away to answer your questions or to assist you in making an appointment with Dr Shelton. Call us at (212) 593-1818.
Back to Mohs Home Page: Mohs Skin Cancer Surgery New York NY