Dr Ron Shelton was awarded the RealSelf Top Doctor Award..Read More
Click Here to
Visit Our Blog
Visit Our Blog
2015 ASDS Consumer Survey on Cosmetic Dermatologic Procedures
Expertise and Training
Dermatologist, Dermatalogic Surgery
Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Reconstruction
Mohs micrographic surgery is available for those who have something a little more than just aging skin. Those who are facing a distressful diagnosis of melanoma or skin cancer have access to the latest state-of-the-art treatment performed by specifically trained physicians. Although results from Mohs micrographic surgery may vary from person to person, the technique through which skin cancer lesions are removed has a very high success rate.
Physicians who have completed hundreds of hours of additional training in Mohs have the expertise to perform this delicate procedure with a great deal of precision, maximizing each patient's chances for a complete cure. With the technology utilized in the Mohs surgical procedure, the surgeon works to remove thin layers of the tumor, one at a time, followed by immediate examination under a microscope. Skin cancers are treated without affecting or damaging the skin in the surrounding region.
The Mohs surgical procedure provides the greatest amount of precision for the removal of skin cancers, and is ideal for highly visible areas on the body, including the face. By examining 100 percent of frozen section perimeters and deep margins, this technique provides the smallest defect to the skin possible. Dr. Shelton has fellowship training in this subspecialty along with reconstruction, and he is a member of the prestigious American College of Mohs Surgery.
Skin cancer can be a very frightening diagnosis. We understand the feelings of anxiety that may develop for the skin cancer patient, and we are happy to discuss the various forms of treatment that will best suit immediate and long-term needs, both for aesthetics and for health. Dr. Shelton and his colleagues encourage patients to gain familiarity with their skin so that unusual changes may be detected right away. With early detection and treatment, there are excellent chances for cure.
To learn more about Mohs micrographic surgery or to schedule your skin cancer screening in Dr. Shelton's Manhattan medical practice, call (212) 593-1818.
*Results may vary
- What is Mohs skin cancer surgery - Mohs skin cancer surgery is an outpatient procedure performed in our modern dermatology facility.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery in Midtown - Patients in NYC have Mohs micrographic surgery for skin cancer by Dr Ron Shelton and colleagues, at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of New York.
- Mohs Surgery Recovery New York - Despite my sleeping with my head elevated, I awakened this morning with a lot of swelling under my left eye. I had Mohs surgery yesterday on my forehead near my hairline on the left side. Is this normal?
- Mohs Surgery For Skin Cancer New York - I am thirty-two years young and was just diagnosed with a skin cancer on the nose. It is not a melanoma fortunately but a squamous cell carcinoma. I don’t want a scar. Someone told me that they had an uncle who had radiation treatment for a skin cancer on their face. Should I consider radiation instead of Mohs surgery?
- Mohs Surgery Scar New York - I had Mohs surgery on my nose two months ago and had a flap done to close the hole. I am happy but the flap appears slightly lumpy. What can be done to improve this?
- New York Mohs Surgery Recovery - I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my nose, the tip, and my dermatologist only gave me a bandaid and ointment and said he would see me in four weeks. Should I not have had stitches?